It’s Halloween time and this means it’s a great time for getting scared! Scary movies, serial killers, monsters, witches, spiders, goblins, zombies and more are all normal during this time of year. For people like me, this is great news and can’t start soon enough. However, there are some people out there who suffer from samhainophobia, cucurbitophobia and other phobias that make this time of year a nightmare. There is an interesting list of strange phobias, including Halloween phobias at King Halloween.
There are some phobias listed you’re probably familiar with, and a few you probably haven’t heard of. The list is alphabetized and there is information on each one. Here are a few of the phobias included:
- Arachnophobia is an intense fear of spiders.
- Chiroptophobia is an overwhelming fear of bats.
- Coulrophobia is an intense fear of clowns.
- Cucurbitophobia is a severe fear of pumpkins.
- Hemophobia is the severe fear of blood.
- Phasmophobia is the severe fear of ghosts.
- Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween
- Wiccaphobia is the unrelenting fear of witches and witchcraft.
It is possible for one phobia to trigger other related phobias. For example, people with a fear of Halloween may also develop a fear of pumpkins, clowns or other objects they are repeatedly exposed to during the Halloween season.
Phobias are much more extreme than a normal fear and can be persistent and overwhelming. People with phobias may change their lives, their workplace, the routes they take daily and other patterns to avoid the object of their phobia. Being afraid of a ghost isn’t the same thing as having a phobia of ghosts.